A Second Chance at Happiness : Chapter 12

 Anuj's dining table was unusually lively for a Saturday morning.

The aroma of freshly made aloo parathas filled the room while Mukku sat opposite him, scrolling through her phone between bites. Unlike weekdays, there was no rush to leave for the office, and the peaceful breakfast was something they both enjoyed.

In Shantivan everyone said bye to Arnav Khushi who was leaving for Nanital early morning.

Once Arnav and Khushi left Anjali casually mentioned she may go out with her colleagues. 

On a holiday she doesn't want to stay home. Mami and Nani will be behind all the time suffocating her with their concern about divorce. Akash and Payal will try convince to take her out with them for any movie or other things. 

She doesn't want any of these. She was happy that Arnav is giving priority to his marriage and chose to spend time with Khushi. She wants Akash and Payal also to do the same without being worried about her. So she told everyone she will busy this entire weekend.

She picked up her phone once she is inside her room.

Just as Anuj reached for his cup of coffee, his phone vibrated.


Anjali: Good morning... would you like to meet today? 😊😊

A smile unconsciously appeared on Anuj's face.

He quickly typed back.

Anuj: Good morning. I was hoping you would ask..

Before he could send another message, Mukku looked up from her plate with narrowed eyes.

"Bhai..."

"Hmm?"

"You've been smiling at your phone for the last thirty seconds."

Anuj casually kept the phone face down.

"It's just a friend."

Mukku raised an eyebrow dramatically.

"A friend?"

"Yes."

"The kind of friend who makes the mighty Anuj Kapadia smile like a college boy?"

He chuckled.

"You've become very observant."

"I always was."

She leaned forward.

"Male friend or female friend?"

Anuj picked up his coffee and deliberately avoided her gaze.

"A friend."

Mukku folded her arms.

"That means female."

He merely smiled without answering.

Mukku sighed theatrically.

"I knew it."

"You know nothing."

"I know enough. You never hide your phone"

Anuj shook his head, amused.

"You watch too many movies."

"And you are a terrible liar."

For a few seconds they simply looked at each other before both burst into laughter.

Mukku decided not to push further.

Whenever Bhai wants to tell me, he will.

She changed the topic instead.

"By the way, Khushi called me early this morning."

"Oh?"

"She and Arnav jiju left for Nainital. Long weekend, remember? They needed a break"

Anuj nodded thoughtfully.

"That's good."

Mukku smiled.

She stretched dramatically.

""Lucky them and here I am... bored already."

Anuj laughed.

"You already made plans with Mom and Dad. So you are not going to be bored. "

"Our parents are going to Tirumala Temple today. GK Kaka is also joining and he's always wanted to offer prayers there."

"Oh."

"I'm going with them. So its like a pilgrimage not a happening weekend."

"That's nice."

"Yeah.. better than sitting alone at home staring at the television. And you will be busy with work anyways."

She finished the last bite of her breakfast.

"By evening they'll probably make me help GK Kaka shop for laddoos and souvenirs."

"I'm sure you'll survive."

"Barely."

She stood up and collected her plate.

"I'm leaving in half an hour. They will meet me at Tirupati Airport". Anuj nodded. 

After about half an hour Mukku came down after getting dressed. She stopped to gave him a warm hug. 

"Take care bhai.."

"You too."

She paused at the doorway and looked back mischievously.

"And Bhai..."

"Hmm?"

"If your friend comes over today..."

Anuj looked at her calmly.

"...I'll pretend I never suspected anything."

He gave her an innocent smile.

"What makes you think anyone is coming?"

Mukku laughed as she picked up her handbag.

"Bye!"

"Bye, Mukku."

The front door closed behind her.

Silence settled over the spacious house.

Anuj waited until Mukku's car left through the front gate.

Only then did he pick up his phone again.

A warm smile spread across his face as he opened Anjali's chat.

Anuj: The house is quiet now. No one is here. Mukku has gone to Tirumala with my parents and GK Kaka. Would you like to come over? We can have lunch together and spend the afternoon together without any interruptions.

He hesitated for a second before adding one more message.

I've been looking forward to seeing you.

He pressed Send and leaned back in his chair, unable to suppress the anticipation building within him.

Anuj stood in the living room, glancing around the silent house before calling the household staff together.

The head butler, Ramesh, approached respectfully.

"Sir, shall we begin preparing lunch?"

Anuj smiled politely.

"No, Ramesh. You all take the day off."

The servants exchanged surprised glances.

"The day off, sir?"

"Yes."

"But sir... lunch, tea, evening snacks..."

"I'll manage. I have some appointments so I will be with my colleagues and I am alone today so don't bother. There is no work today. Go and spend the rest of day with your families."

Anjali wanted their relationship a secret. Anuj respected that completely.

He didn't want servants gossiping about her visits or making assumptions.

This was their time.

Only theirs.

"Go home," he repeated warmly.

"I'll lock up after you leave."

Within fifteen minutes, the mansion was completely empty.

Silence filled every corner.

Anuj looked around and smiled.

"Perfect. "

Instead of ordering food from a five-star hotel, he rolled up the sleeves.

"If I'm inviting her home...she deserves something made with effort."

He searched through the refrigerator.

Vegetables.

Paneer.

Fresh coriander.

Yogurt.

Rice.

"That should do."

Soon the modern kitchen came alive.

He chopped vegetables, occasionally looking at his phone to read recipes.

Within an hour, the dining table was beautifully set.

He stepped back proudly.

"Not bad, Mr. Kapadia."

Just then, the doorbell rang.

His heartbeat quickened.

He opened the door and There stood Anjali.

She wore a simple pastel blue cotton kurta with white palazzo pants, her hair left open and a pair of silver jhumkas completing the look. 

she looked relaxed and radiant.

She held up a small box.

"I brought sweets."

"You didn't have to."

"I wanted to."

He stepped aside.

"Welcome."

As she entered the Kapadia mansion, her eyes instinctively wandered around.

The house reflected Anuj perfectly—elegant, modern, spacious, yet surprisingly warm.

Large paintings adorned the walls.

Bookshelves occupied one side of the living room.

Fresh flowers decorated the center table.

Soft instrumental music played in the background.

"It's beautiful," Anjali whispered.

"Come.. I'll show you around."

He gave her a leisurely tour of the house.

Anjali immediately stopped in front of the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves.

"So many books!"

"I read whenever I can't sleep."

She smiled.

"I never imagined that."

"What?"

"That a businessman who spends most of his day negotiating deals enjoys reading classic literature."

"You'll discover I'm full of surprises."

She laughed.

"I'm beginning to realize that."

They continued upstairs.

He showed her the terrace overlooking the beautifully landscaped garden.

A gentle breeze brushed against them.

"It's peaceful here," Anjali said quietly.

"I come here whenever I need to think."

She looked at him.

"I understand why."

Eventually they returned downstairs.

As they entered the dining room, Anjali stopped in her tracks.

The table was already laid.

She looked from the food to Anuj.

"You... cooked?"

He scratched the back of his neck sheepishly.

"I tried."

"You actually cooked all this?"

"I wasn't sure what you'd like."

She looked genuinely touched.

"You could have ordered."

"I could have."

Her eyes softened.

"No one has ever done something like this for me."

He pulled out a chair for her.

"Then I'm glad I did."

They sat down together.

Anjali took a spoonful of the dal.

Her eyes widened.

"This is really good."

He grinned.

"So I didn't poison you?"

She laughed.

"Definitely not."

They ate leisurely, talking about College memories, Funny office incidents.

"So," she teased between bites, "how many recipes did YouTube teach you today?"

He pretended to look offended.

"Oh?"

She burst into laughter.

He joined her, enjoying the sound of her carefree laughter more than the meal itself.

Dessert followed.

Anjali tasted the kheer.

Anjali was still smiling, the bowl of kheer in her hands.

"You really should stick to cooking," she teased. "Dessert shopping is clearly where your confidence takes over."

Anuj chuckled. "I thought I had a chance of passing it off as homemade."

"You almost did."

"Almost?"

"The container in the kitchen gave you away."

He looked at her in mock disbelief.

"So that's why you disappeared for a minute."

"I was getting water," she replied with a grin. "The evidence just happened to be there."

They laughed again.

This time, Anjali noticed something change.

The amusement in Anuj's expression softened into quiet admiration. His eyes lingered on her not with awkwardness or expectation, but with a warmth that made her heartbeat quicken.

He wasn't looking at her because she looked beautiful.

He was looking at her because he genuinely enjoyed seeing her happy.

The realization made her cheeks grow warm.

The silence wasn't uncomfortable; it was filled with unspoken emotions that had been growing between them for weeks.

Anjali lowered her gaze for a moment before picking up the small bowl of kheer.

"What?" Anuj asked softly.

She shook her head with a shy smile.

"Nothing."

Instead of returning to her chair, she walked around the table and stopped beside him.

Anuj looked up, puzzled.

Before he could ask another question, she carefully settled herself sideways on his lap, making sure not to spill the dessert.

His eyes widened in surprise.

She smiled, a little nervous herself.

"I hope you don't mind."

His expression melted into one of quiet happiness. . 

Will she think he was just interested in having s*x only? At first he thought maybe they can meet somewhere outside. But it was risky.

He thought It might make her feel comfortable if its home.

"I could never mind." He smiled.

Resting one hand lightly on his shoulder for balance, she lifted a spoonful of kheer toward him.

"You cooked lunch."

He accepted the spoonful, never taking his eyes off her.

"So I thought I'd feed you dessert."

After swallowing, he smiled.

"I think that's a fair arrangement."

She took another spoonful for herself, and they shared the bowl between them, laughing whenever one of them tried to take a larger bite.

The lighthearted moment eased the shyness between them.

Once the bowl was empty, Anuj gently took it from her hands and placed it on the side table.

For a moment, neither of them moved.

His arm rested lightly around her waist, careful to give her the freedom to move away whenever she wished.

He gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

"I'm glad you came."

Anjali leaned her head lightly against his shoulder.

Neither of them seemed eager to break the silence.

After a long moment, she looked up at him, her eyes carrying a quiet affection that words could barely express.

"Anuj..."

"Hmm?"

A shy smile curved her lips.

"Will you... take me to your room?"

He searched her face, making sure he understood what she was asking. There was no hesitation in her eyes.

His own smile softened.

"I will..."

He brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"...but only if you let me carry you."

She laughed gently.

"And if I refuse?"

"I'll have to convince you."

Her laughter returned, light and carefree.

"I suppose I'll allow it."

Before she could change her mind, Anuj slipped one arm beneath her knees and the other around her back, lifting her effortlessly into his arms.

Anjali instinctively wrapped an arm around his neck.

He carried her upstairs at an unhurried pace, smiling every time she looked at him.

Reaching his bedroom, he nudged the door open with his shoulder.

The room reflected him perfectly- tastefully furnished, warm, and understated, with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the garden.

He set her down gently near the window.

For a moment, they simply stood facing each other.

Anjali reached for his hand.

He intertwined his fingers with hers, resting his forehead against hers.

She closed the small distance between them, and they shared a slow, lingering kiss.

Outside, the afternoon sun bathed the garden in golden light as the door to the bedroom quietly closed behind them, leaving the rest of their private moments to themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------

The highway from Delhi gradually gave way to greener landscapes. The chaos of the city disappeared behind them, replaced by long stretches of road lined with mustard fields, mango orchards, and the occasional roadside tea stall.

Khushi sat beside Arnav, her head resting against the window as soft music played through the speakers.

She stole a glance at him.

He looked impossibly handsome in a navy-blue shirt with the sleeves rolled up, one hand resting casually on the steering wheel.

"Seems like you've been thinking about something serious for the last ten minutes," he said without taking his eyes off the road.

"I have not."

"You have."

"I was just thinking."

Arnav reached across and intertwined his fingers with hers and asked.

"About...??"

She looked outside again.

"I was thinking... about our last trip to Nanital."

That previous journey.

A journey filled with misunderstandings, Pain and heartbreak.

Arnav squeezed her hand.

"I wish I could reverse all those Khushi, but this time I promise," he whispered, "we're writing new memories... beautiful ones..."

Khushi smiled softly.

Around one in the afternoon they stopped at a beautiful highway restaurant overlooking a small lake.

The place wasn't crowded.

A gentle breeze carried the fragrance of fresh flowers from the garden surrounding the restaurant.

They chose a table near the glass windows overlooking the water.

The waiter handed them the menu.

Khushi looked through it before closing it.

"I already know."

"You didn't even read."

"I saw paneer."

Arnav chuckled.

"Of course."

"And butter naan."

"And?"

"Sweet lassi."

He smiled and ordered her favorites along with grilled vegetables, dal, rice and fresh rotis.

As they waited, Khushi watched children feeding ducks outside through the glass.

"They look so happy."

"So do you."

"I am."

She turned toward him.

"I've wanted something like this for long time."

"What?" Arnav asked her with a smile. 

"A normal day."

Arnav reached across the table and gently tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"I'm sorry. I am really sorry.."

"For what?"

"For all these time you should have had this."

She shook her head.

"We're here now. And that's enough Arnavji.."

After sometime their food came. 

Khushi laughed over something the waiter had said and reached for a butter naan.

He simply watched her.

The sunlight filtering through the restaurant's glass windows bathed her face in a warm glow, making the tiny bindi on her forehead and the sparkle in her eyes stand out even more. 

She was completely at ease, excited over something as simple as a roadside lunch during a long drive.

He smiled to himself.

"She could have walked away from me forever."

The thought struck him with unexpected force.

There had been a time when he had been certain he had lost her, not because he had stopped loving her, but because he had given her every reason to stop trusting him. 

He had let anger speak louder than love, pride louder than understanding, and fear louder than faith.

There wasn't a single day he hadn't regretted it.

Every morning he had wished he could go back and change one decision, one accusation, one harsh word... anything that had put tears in her eyes.

Yet fate had been kinder to him than he deserved.

Khushi had not erased the past, nor had she pretended it had never happened. Instead, she had done something far more extraordinary.

She had chosen to believe that people could change.

She had chosen him.

Not because she had forgotten the pain, but because she had seen the sincerity of his remorse and the consistency of his efforts to become a better husband.

"You didn't owe me another chance, Khushi," he thought, his gaze never leaving her smiling face. "You could have protected your heart by walking away, and no one would have blamed you. Instead, you chose to trust me again. That is the greatest gift anyone has ever given me."

His eyes softened.

"I spent years thinking I had to earn success, respect, and wealth. But none of them compare to earning back your trust."

Khushi looked up, catching him staring.

"What?" she asked, smiling.

"You've barely eaten."

"I was waiting for you to stop looking at me."

He chuckled.

"I don't think that's going to happen."

She laughed, shaking her head before taking another bite.

Arnav reached for his glass, hiding the emotion threatening to show in his eyes.

"Thank you, Khushi... not just for loving me, but for believing that I could become the man worthy of that love. I can't change our past, but I swear on every happiness we find from this day onward... I'll spend the rest of my life proving that your faith in me was never misplaced."

For the first time in years, the guilt that had weighed on his heart felt lighter, not because it had disappeared, but because the woman sitting across from him had given him the chance to replace painful memories with beautiful ones.

After sometime they left from there. 

As evening approached, the roads became winding.

Tall pine trees surrounded them.

The cool mountain air drifted through the slightly open windows.

The setting sun painted the sky in shades of gold, orange and crimson.

Khushi admired the breathtaking scenery.

"It's beautiful Arnavji..."

Instead of driving directly toward Nainital town, Arnav turned onto a quieter road.

After another fifteen minutes, they reached a secluded viewpoint overlooking the emerald lake far below.

The sun hovered just above the mountains, bathing everything in warm golden light.

There was no crowd.

Only silence and the whisper of the mountain breeze.

Khushi stepped out of the car and gasped.

"Oh my God..."

The valley stretched endlessly before them.

The lake shimmered like liquid gold beneath the setting sun.

"It's truly nature's masterpiece," she whispered.

"I wanted this place to be our first memory of Nainital."

She looked at him.

"No ghosts from the past. Only promises for the future."

Her eyes glistened.

Arnav took her hand and led her toward the edge of the viewpoint.

For a moment, they stood together, watching the sun sink behind the mountains.

And then he slowly stepped back.

"Arnavji?"

Without saying a word, he reached into his jacket pocket.

He took out a small velvet box.

Her breath caught and He smiled at her nervously.

Then, before she could speak, he went down on one knee.

The world seemed to stop.

Only the wind moved around them.

Arnav looked up at her, his eyes filled with love and emotion.

"Our marriage began with circumstances neither of us chose. We were bound together before we truly understood each other. We loved, we lost our way, and somehow... we found our way back."

He opened the box.

Inside rested an elegant diamond wedding band that sparkled in the last rays of sunlight.

"This ring isn't for a wedding ceremony."

"It's for the marriage we are choosing today."

He took a deep breath.

"Khushi Kumari Gupta... will you stay with me forever as my life partner, not with rituals or obligations, but with your heart? Will you begin our real married life with me... as my partner, my best friend, my greatest strength... for every sunrise and every sunset that life gives us?"




Tears streamed freely down Khushi's cheeks.

She covered her mouth, unable to speak.

Arnav smiled softly.

"I'll wait as long as it takes... but I hope the answer is yes."

She laughed through her tears and nodded repeatedly.

"Yes."

Another nod.

"Yes, Arnavji."

Her voice trembled.

"A thousand times... yes."

Relief flooded his face.

He slipped the ring gently onto her finger before rising to his feet.

Khushi threw herself into his arms.

He held her tightly as the last rays of the sun disappeared behind the mountains.

"I love you," she whispered against his shoulder.

"I've loved you for a very long time."

Arnav kissed her forehead tenderly.

"And from this moment onward, every memory we make in Nainital will belong to us, not to our past, but to the life we're choosing together."

Hand in hand, with the new ring gleaming on Khushi's finger, they stood watching the first stars appear above the mountains, knowing that this journey marked not just a trip to Nainital, but the true beginning of their happily ever after.

-------------------------------------------------

It was almost evening, Anjali stood by the floor-to-ceiling window of Anuj's home, watching the winter sun slowly going down the city. She had borrowed one of his crisp white shirts over her palazzo.

Anuj walked into the room carrying two cups of tea.

"You've been quiet," he observed, handing one to her.

She accepted it with a faint smile. "I'm thinking."

she continued, "...I don't want us to spend our time hiding inside this house."

He raised an eyebrow. "What are you suggesting?"

"I want to go out."

Anuj almost laughed.

"Ms. Raizada, you're suggesting me to walk around Delhi with you."

"I'm serious."

"So am I."

She stepped closer.

"I know it's risky. We don't have to go somewhere crowded. Just... somewhere outside."

He looked into her hopeful eyes.

Now that she was asking, he found it impossible to refuse.

"Let me check."

Forty minutes later, a sleek black luxury SUV rolled out of Anuj's estate.

Another security vehicle followed close behind.

Two trained bodyguards occupied the front SUV, while one remained in the passenger seat beside the driver.

Anuj sat beside Anjali in the rear.

He wore a baseball cap, dark sunglasses, and a casual jacket instead of his usual tailored suits.

Anjali had draped a light stole over her head and worn oversized sunglasses.

"If anyone recognizes us," she teased, "they'll think we're planning a bank robbery."

Anuj chuckled.

"No."

"They'll think I'm kidnapping a beautiful woman."

She laughed, gently nudging his shoulder.

Their destination was a secluded heritage garden attached to a private members club on the outskirts of Delhi.

The club was known for its strict privacy policy, and access was limited to members and their guests.

Anuj had chosen it for exactly that reason.

The gardens were nearly empty.

Stone pathways wound through carefully manicured lawns, blooming roses and ancient banyan trees. A small fountain in the center added to the peaceful atmosphere. 

They walked slowly, maintaining a respectful distance in public despite the temptation to stay close.



Anuj's two bodyguards followed several paces behind, careful enough not to intrude yet close enough to intervene if required.

Meanwhile...

Rakesh, a junior clerk from a prominent law firm, hurried into the members' club carrying a confidential file.

His senior partner had forgotten to obtain a client's signatures before an important meeting, forcing him to make the delivery personally.

He hated those privileged people, they think people like him ae their servants. Despite of having qualification he is still a clerk in the law firm. 

He took the sign and while returning as he crossed the garden, his attention drifted toward a familiar face.

Aren't those...

The woman sitting beside the fountain lowered her mask for a moment to drink water from the bottle the man standing next had handed her.

Rakesh froze.

"That's Anjali Raizada."

He had seen her pictures and details while preparing her file. She is a Raizada and her to be ex-husband is a client of his boss.

Instinctively, he pulled out his phone.

Just as he clicked the camera, One of Anuj's bodyguards looked in his direction.

Rakesh immediately lowered the phone and pretended to answer a call.

The guard watched him for a few seconds before looking away.

Rakesh exhaled.

A minute later, when the couple began walking again, he discreetly took another photograph from a greater distance.

The image wasn't perfect.

Anjali's face was somewhat visible.

The man beside her was turned away, hidden beneath a cap and sunglasses.

Still...

It was enough to prove she wasn't alone.

Rakesh smiled to himself.

"This could be worth something."

As Anjali admired the roses, Anuj's expression subtly changed.

His smile faded.

He slowed his steps.

Anjali noticed immediately.

"What happened?"

Without turning his head, Anuj quietly replied,

"Don't look around suddenly."

Her heartbeat quickened.

"Why?"

"I have a feeling someone has been watching us."

She instinctively tensed.

"The same person?"

"I don't know."

He casually glanced toward a nearby pathway.

Nothing unusual.

Still...

Years of business negotiations and public life had sharpened his instincts.

He rarely ignored them.

He discreetly touched the small communication device concealed beneath his sleeve.

One of the bodyguards immediately understood the silent signal and began scanning the surroundings more carefully.

After several minutes, nothing suspicious appeared.

Perhaps it was nothing.

Or perhaps whoever had been watching had already left.

Anuj decided not to alarm Anjali further.

"Let's head back."

She nodded.

"Okay."

-----------------------------------------

Shyam sat alone in his office reviewing legal documents when his assistant announced a visitor.

"A man says he has information that might interest you."

"Send him in."

Rakesh entered nervously.

"You don't know me, sir."

"No."

"But I know someone you're fighting in court."

That immediately caught Shyam's attention.

"Go on."

Rakesh placed his phone on the desk and opened the photographs.

The moment the first image appeared...

Shyam leaned forward.

"Anjali..."

He immediately recognized her even if her face was not clear. His eyes narrowed.

Walking beside an unidentified man.

Another picture showed them sitting near the fountain.

"Where did you get these?"

"I happened to see them today at a private members' garden."

"You followed them?"

"No."

"I work for the law firm fighting your case. I was delivering documents."

He hesitated before adding.

"I thought these photographs might be valuable."

Shyam looked at him carefully.

"And what do you want?"

Rakesh smiled awkwardly.

"Money. I can keep watching her and I can find out who the man is."

Shyam remained silent for several seconds.

Then he slowly smiled.

"Interesting."

He slid an envelope across the table.

"if your information proves useful for me to win the case and alimony then I can give you more."

Rakesh eagerly accepted it.

"I'll keep an eye on her."

After he left, Shyam picked up the photographs again.

He studied Anjali's smiling face for a long time.

"So... you've moved on."

The realization was unexpected.

During their marriage, Anjali had loved with complete devotion. Even after everything had fallen apart, he had assumed she would need years before allowing another man into her life.

Yet here she was... Looking at someone else the way she had once looked at him.

A bitter smile crossed his face.

"I never thought you'd reach this point so quickly."

His gaze shifted to the blurred figure beside her.

"Who are you?"

The man was impossible to identify.

Every photograph concealed his face..

Then his attention moved to the security personnel visible in the background.

Always positioned between the couple and anyone nearby.

"That's unusual..."

He frowned.

"Anjali did have security before. The Raizadas were always protective of her after our separation. Arnav has arranged bodyguards for her in the past."

But something felt different.

"These men don't behave like ordinary family security."

Their discipline.

It resembled the protection given to influential industrialists and high-profile executives rather than a wealthy family's personal guards.

Still, Shyam wasn't ready to jump to conclusions.

"Perhaps Arnav has simply upgraded her security because of the divorce proceedings."

He tapped the photograph thoughtfully.

A slow, calculating smile spread across his face.

Love,

ST

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 36

There will never be another you Chapter 17

There will never be another you : Chapter 19