Chapter 21

    When Arnav came out of the bathroom after freshening up, Dadi was waiting for him with an angry expression on his bed. He ignored her and turned towards the cupboard to take out the dress.

"I am here from last 7 days. You did not come to meet me even once.  "

Still there was no response from Arnav, he continued to search for a particular shirt.

"I am talking to you Arnav.. Am I invisible to you? I am your Dadi... Is this the way you are showing respect? .. "

Arnav slammed the door of the wardrobe with a loud noice and turned towards Dadi.

"Why should I respect you Dadi? For ruining my life?  For what reason I should respect you?"

"I did not ruin your life, I saved you from that girl. She ruined Anjali bitiya's life. She was trapping you just like Garima trapped your papa. . You should thank me for doing the right thing. She is a characterless girl just like.. "



"ENOUGH Dadi!!!" Arnav screamed at her finally losing his patience.

Subhadra was taken aback by the rage and hatred emitting from her grandson.

"Not a word against my wife.. Otherwise I will forget that you are my grandmother. " He was shivering with anger.

"I can't believe you are fighting with me for that homewrecker... " Dadi retorted gritting her teeth. 

"Dadi this is the last time I am going to have this discussion with you. I love my Khushi more than anyone else in this world but I abandoned her because of your lie.. It was my father who cheated both mine and Khushi's mother. You knew that well, still you lied to everyone to paint your son as a saint. Do you have any idea the result of your lie in our lives? You never cared about our happiness. You only care about your dead son's non-existing reputation and your elephant sized ego." 



"Arnav.. I love my grandchildren..I worry about you and Anjali that is why.."

"cut the crap dadi.. You don't worry about anyone. It was my nani who took us under her wing when we were orphaned. Where were you that time when we needed you? Your other son kicked us out of our house, why didn't you do anything if you cared that much? After many years of loneliness when I finally got my happiness you manipulated the truth and cancelled my marriage.. And you are saying you love us? " 

"Arnav that girl seduced Damadji and ruined Anjali bitiya's life.. Didn't you see?" 

Arnav was about to blast at her once again but his sister answered from the door before him.

"My ex-husband was a monster Dadi. Khushi was innocent all long. you know why he ended up in jail.. I can't believe you are still defending that animal who killed my child. It was because of her we came to know about his real face." Anjali said with a stern expression on her face.

"I don't understand why you both are taking that girl's side.. She was a bad omen for our family." Dadi was clearing displeased hearing Anjali also taking Khushi's side.

"She always gave happiness to this family Dadi but in return we treated her horribly. And I believe whatever happened with me was a punishment for hurting an innocent girl. She is the mother of my chote's child. So when she comes here tomorrow to visit Nani, I don't want you to do any such thing which will make her upset. If you can't do that, I would suggest you to stay inside the room tomorrow. " 

Anjali saw Dadi's expression changed slightly hearing about chote's child.

"Arnav has a child? Why no one told me? Iss ghar mein ho kya raha hai? And how can you order me to stay in my room? I have full authority in this house. " 

Dadi was breathing fire hearing Anjali's instruction.

"This is not Sheesh Mahal to show your authority Dadi.. This is Shantivan- which was built with my brother's hard earned money.  And this house and whatever properties I possessed had been transferred to Khushi and her child's name ,so technically you are staying in Khushi's house now. " She retorted unmoved by Dadi's anger with sharp and cold words.

"I can live in the ashram for life long, they treat me with great respect unlike you people. I don't want to stay at anyone's mercy here." 

"They respect you because chote transfers huge amount of money to ashram's account for its smooth functioning, they are showing the gratitude for the money they receive. Because of my evil husband and my father we suffered so much. Shyam and our father are closed chapters of our life. We do not wish to reopen it. Innocent people who are still alive cannot be punished anymore for their sins. Hereafter please do not mention about them in this house.. If you cannot get over the past then that is your problem dadi, not ours... Please do not ruin my brother's only chance of happiness once again. Khushi is his life.. Get ready Chote.. We are getting late.. " 

With that, Anjali left from there leaving a furious Dadi behind. Arnav watched his Di's retreating form with newfound respect. 

...............................................

They left late from home because of the fight with Dadi and above that they stopped on the way to buy a bouquet for Veena. It was Vijay who opened the door for them. 

"Don't you think you guys came so early.."  Anjali made a face at him undeterred by his sarcasm.

"Sorry woh traffic bohot tha..." Arnav apologized seeing his Di was not going to do that.

 "Let them come inside know Vijay, Are you going to make them stand outside?" It was Veena's voice from inside.

"Oops sorry.. Please come in.." He led them to the living room where Veena and Sreekanth were waiting.

Anjali hugged Veena and wished her. 

"Uncle, Aunty.. This is my brother Arnav.." Anjali introduced Arnav to them.

"Hello Beta.. We have heard a a lot about you, finally we got to meet you." Sreekanth greeted him.

"Belated birthday wishes.. This is for you" Arnav said to Veena extending the bouquet of oriental  lilies.

"Thank you so much.." Veena accepted the bouquet with a warm smile.

Vijay noticed Arnav's eyes were searching for Khushi and Muskaan who was nowhere to be seen.

"Khushi and Vivek are in the kitchen." Vijay told no one in particular. 

"Why are you standing? You come and sit beta" Sreekanth said tapping the place next to him on the sofa. Arnav seated and exchanged small talk with Veena and Sreekanth. 

"Let me see what they are doing in the kitchen" Anjali made her way to the kitchen and Vijay followed her. Arnav also wanted to go but it would be inappropriate if he follows them as he is coming here for the first time.

After about 15 minutes Khushi came to the living room with the cake. After a minute Muskaan came running looking cute in her baby pink frock followed by Anjali and Vivek.

    Muskaan paused for a minute looking at Arnav  and then gave a toothy smile and ran towards him faster than before. Arnav caught her in his arms and kissed her. He made her sit on his lap and started talking to her in baby language. 

Anjali's eyes moistened seeing the exchange between the father-daughter. Khushi ignored him and continued to set the cake on the table. Vivek shook hands with Arnav, but there was something about the way Vivek looked at him made him uncomfortable. 

    The cake cutting was over and they made themselves comfortable on the sofa chatting away merrily. Muskaan yawned and leaned onto Arnav's shoulder after sometime. 

"Arnav beta, you take her to the bed room, Let her sleep.. Khushi go and make the bed. Vijay will make drinks for everyone in the meantime."

Khushi did not reply anything, she got up and silently walked towards the bedroom gesturing Arnav to follow her. 

She switched on the bedroom light and made the bed. She took a sleepy Muskaan from him and made her lie on the bed. She switched on the bed lamp after switching off the bright night making the room dimly lit.

"She will sleep only if I lie beside her for sometime, you can go back to them. I will join after sometime."

Arnav simply waited there without saying anything. She lied beside Muskaan with her back facing him. She started to pat Muskaan's thigh gently to make her sleep. After few minutes the bed sank and Arnav's thigh touched her back when he sat on the small space left on the side. 

"Why you are sitting here? you can sit on the other side of the bed, there is enough space " Khushi asked without looking back at him.

He leaned over by supporting himself on his right hand. She closed her eyes as his breath caressed her neck.  

"I can be more close to you this way.." He whispered in her ear. 

"I thought you like to be far from me." She pulled the blanket over Muskaan who drifted off to sleep.

"That is not the truth Khushi.." His words filled with hurt. 

She felt him putting his weight on her and the right hand which was placed on the bed was now circling her waist. 

"Then what is the truth?" She asked him in a small voice without disturbing her sleeping daughter.

He leaned down further and nibbled the soft part of her neck making her breathe heavier. He then moved to her placed a soft kiss on her cheek and told her in a mere whisper.

"That I love you more than my life" 

She opened her eyes suddenly and looked at him. He was looking at her with so much love and hope in his eyes. But she cannot fall for that eyes again.

"Liar" 

She got up jerking his hands from the bed  and stomped out of the room. 


Love,

ST



 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blurred Colors : One Shot

There will never be another you- Chapter 11

There will never be another you - Chapter 13